Saturday 23 April 2011

Happy Easter!

Warning: This is a pretty lengthy post.

Happy Easter everyone! I got my inspiration at this post from www.frmheadtotoe.com. Ya know, I didn't really think about doing a tutorial till I was done with both hands. Shows you how smart I am huh.

Anyway, here is what I used for my Easter nail art. I used pastel colours as a base, and painted a rabbit on my index finger, a chick on my ring finger, and painted the rest to look like Easter eggs. I googled "Easter eggs patterns" so I know what to draw heehee.
First I used a Faceshop basecoat, and the polishes are named accordingly from thumb to pinky.

Thumb: Gargantuan Green Grape by OPI
Index: PP401 by The Faceshop
Middle: BL602 by The Faceshop
Ring: Fiercely Fiona by OPI
Pinky: 63 by Rainbow (a random brand from Sasa)

To paint in the bunnies and dot my nails, I used my two-way nail brush and pen. It really is very handy and I find it so much easier to do nail art now as compared to using brushes or tape-stencils* or matches/toothpicks.

Unfortunately the two-way nail brush and pen does not colour code their nail polish so I can't tell you exactly what I used.

Thumb:
Because the thumbnail is the biggest nail I decided to do the most intricate pattern on it. On top of a pastel green I used a hot pink to zigzag across the nail and then an orange to outline it. It was supposed to be a sparkly orange, but somehow the sparkles didn't transfer to the tip. It still looks ok though. The nail still looked empty, so I accentuated it using yellow dots.

Index:
Have you ever realised that when you point at things or order something from the menu you would be showing your index finger (unless you normally point with your middle finger). So I used the most eye-catching pattern on my index finger. I used PP401 by the Faceshop as a base, and outlined a bunny before filling the rest in. That pink is so cute! It's got a pearly sheen and it's such a delicate pink. Perfect for bunnies. I suggest putting in as little black as possible. After that dot two ovals for eyes, and one red dot for the nose. Then dot the eyes with a tiny bit of white. That way it'll look more lively :)

Middle:
The middle finger is still reasonably big, so I drew purple stripes across the blue nail. I must say it turned out really nicely. Definitely doing this for all my nails someday when Easter is over. I did vertical stripes for my right middle finger. If you do try out vertical stripes, draw thinner stripes.

Ring:
The chick is probable one of the easiest to draw, because all you really need to do is dot the eyes (both white and black), and draw a little triangle for the chick's beak. I don't really know what I can do to make it look more chick-like. Jen from frmheadtotoe had jagged white eggshells at the bottom which I didn't bother myself with. But when I showed it to my sister she thought it was a happy face. So now I can't look at my chick without thinking about happy faces xD

Pinky:
The easiest to do! I like dots. Somehow something that is so simple can jazz up your nail. I used white from the two-way nail brush and pen to dot all over. But using a toothpick or matchstick (depending on how big you want your dots) will do fine too. I over-dotted my pinky in the picture. But on the other finger, it has less dots and it looks better than the over-dotted pinky.

So in case you want to attempt nail art from one of the nails without attempting the whole thing, here they are in order of difficulty from most difficult to easiest:

1) Rabbit
2)Zig-zag easter egg
3) Stripes
4) Chick
5) Dots

I feel like this is a really text-heavy post. I should take more pics during the painting process. This whole nail art probably took me about 3 hours including drying time. I topped it all off with the Faceshop top coat. That is all for today. Bye~

*I don't know what the real name is called but to do nail art easily you can cut out the shape of your nail art, stick it onto the nail and colour in the background. Yep. So. Much. Effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment